Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Raquel Park's impression of China - so far!

My experience in China has been very fulfilling. Upon my transfer to Shanghai via Chicago, I was warmly welcomed by the World AIDS Day banner and logo, “Stop AIDS. Keep The Promise.” It was pretty impressive to me that China supports AIDS prevention initiatives. HOW WONDERFUL! On our first day, we visited the China Association for NGO Cooperation (CANGO), and it was great to see that one of their traditional project fields is HIV/AIDS prevention. It was fascinating proof to see that the fight for AIDS prevention does not end at terminal 2 of the Shanghai airport.

A fabulous highlight of the China trip has been the visit to the Great Wall and the visit to the Forbidden City, which sounds like the album title to Britney Spears next CD. Both the Great Wall and the Forbidden City are wonderful sites to gain insight into the life, culture and customs of the Chinese people.

The Chinese have embraced me thus far with smiles, friendliness and hospitality. I feel very fortunate to have been able to attend this trip. As a non traditional, full time employed student, this type of study abroad opportunity has been very feasible. I do not have to resign from my current position to move to a foreign land for 3 months to one year in order to study abroad. Instead, I can go for a very fulfilling 2 weeks, meet and develop relationships with international business executives, do some light paper writing/homework (no free lunch!), and sing karaoke – with the great pleasure of receiving 3 credits and priceless memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment